We are a family of big-time sandwich lovers, if you don’t know that already. I love experimenting with different types of fillings in our sandwiches, and we are known for our sandwich breakfasts, lunches and dinners – basically, we can have sandwiches any time of the day!
I would never have thought of adding mango slices to a sandwich, though. That came about solely because I recently came across Nandita Iyer’s Mango Basil Grilled Cheese Sandwiches here, and got super tempted to try them out. Inspired, I made my own version of mango sandwich for dinner a couple of days ago – a chilli and mango grilled cheese sandwich – and it was a huge hit at home. I am positive this is not going to be the last time I have made the sandwich!
If you love mangoes, like me, you must absolutely try this sandwich out. I added pickled jalapenos, which everyone knows make for a great combination with cheese. The mango in the sandwich takes the taste several notches higher.
Here is how I made this Chilli & mango grilled cheese sandwich.
Ingredients (for 2 sandwiches):
- 4 slices of bread (I used whole wheat bread)
- 2 cubes of cheese (I used Amul)
- Half of a medium-sized ripe mango
- About 8 pieces of pickled jalapenos (store-bought)
- Salted butter, as needed (I used Amul)
- Cut the cheese cubes into thin slices. Keep aside. Skip this step if you are using cheese slices.
- Cut the mango into thin slices too. Keep aside.
- Butter all 4 slices of bread. Keep aside.
- Layer some of the cheese pieces on two slices of buttered bread. Arrange the mango slices on top of this. Arrange the jalapeno pieces and the remaining pieces of cheese on top of the mango. Close the sandwiches using the remaining two slices of buttered bread.
- Grill the sandwiches in a sandwich maker till slightly crisp.
- Serve immediately.
- Increase or decrease the quantity of cheese you use in the sandwiches, as per your taste preferences.
- You could even use ready-made cheese slices to make these sandwiches, instead of cubes.
- Use mango slices in your sandwiches, if you think you’d like them that way.
- Increase or decrease the quantity of sliced jalapenos that you use in the sandwiches, as per your personal preferences.
- I think processed cheese works best for these sandwiches, but you could use any type that you prefer.
- The original recipe calls for any hot sauce (like Tabasco or green chilli sauce). I used pickled jalapenos instead, and loved the way the sandwiches turned out.
- If you want to make a healthier version of these sandwiches, you could skip buttering the bread slices, use whole wheat bread, and add lesser cheese.
- Use a ripe mango that isn’t too squishy, but nice and firm. A mango that is a nice mix of sweet and sour would be great for these chilli & mango grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Use this recipe sans the mango slices, and you get some gorgeous jalapeño-cheese sandwiches.
Yumminess, right? I hope you will make these sandwiches at home, too. If you do, don’t forget to tell me how you liked them!