You get beautiful gooseberries in Bangalore right about now – big, fat, juicy ones that are bursting with flavour. I absolutely had to pick up some, while I was vegetable shopping recently. This lovely, lovely Tangy Carrot Salad With Gooseberry or Gajar Amla Salad is what happened to them!
The Indian gooseberry (also called Amla) is one of the richest sources of Vitamin C and antioxidants. Thanks to these properties, it helps in curing a number of minor ailments, flushing out toxins from the body, and also strengthens one’s immunity. Amla also aids in slowing down cellular degeneration and ageing, stimulates the heart, helps in improving eyesight, and prevents premature greying of hair. Low in sugar and high in fibre content, it is a berry you shouldn’t be missing out on. This is our very own local superfood, and a great one at that.
When Sangeeta Khanna wrote about this Gajar Amla Salad on her Instagram handle, I knew I had to try it out. Have I told you how much I adore this lady’s recipes? The author of Health Food Desi Videshi and Banaras Ka Khana, she is a treasure trove of beautiful recipes. Extremely knowledgeable and talented, Sangeeta Khanna is all about eating local, eating seasonal, eating fresh and eating right, philosophies that also resound with me. She has counselled a number of people on how to reverse various lifestyle diseases using just food – just how marvellous is that?! Anyhow, I found this salad of hers to be a brilliant way of getting all that goodness of amla into our systems, and it did turn out absolutely delicious!
The Gajar Amla Salad is tangy and refreshing, full of flavour and a treat to the tastebuds. It is super easy to make, with minimal effort and zero oil required! What’s more, it is low-fat, raw, vegan and gluten-free, too. It paired perfectly with the Mixed Vegetable Roti I served it with. This Tangy Carrot Salad With Gooseberry is definitely something you must try out too!
Here’s how I made the Gajar Amla Salad, following Sangeeta Khanna’s recipe to the T.
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
- 2 medium-sized gooseberries
- Salt to taste
- 3 small carrots or 2 medium-sized ones
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
- 2 green chillies or as per taste
1. Peel the carrots and grate them medium-thick. Transfer the grated carrots to a large mixing bowl.
2. Peel the onion and chop it finely. Add to the mixing bowl.
3. Grate the gooseberries finely. Add to the mixing bowl.
4. Chop the green chillies really fine. Add to the mixing bowl.
5. To the mixing bowl, add salt to taste and finely chopped coriander.
6. Mix all the ingredients in the mixing bowl, well. Serve the Gajar Amla Salad immediately.
Did you like this recipe? Do tell me, in your comments!
Check out the other Indian gooseberry (amla) recipes on my blog: