Garlic Bread is a favourite appetiser of mine and my daughter’s. Both of us do appreciate well-made garlic bread that’s crispy, the garlicky flavour not overpowering but just right, sprinkled generously with herbs, oozy cheese on top. I love how versatile it is – it is a beautiful appetiser all on its own, a hearty meal with some soup and salad on the side.
While Garlic Bread is something we love to order while eating out, I do make it at home often too. Let me show you all today how to make delicious restaurant-style Garlic Bread on pan at home – yes, no oven or other fancy apparatus required! It’s very easy to put together too.
You might also want to check out these recipes for Garlic Rasam and Burnt Garlic Spaghetti – both much-loved dishes at home.
The ingredients you need to make Garlic Bread on pan
You can use any variety of bread you prefer, in this recipe. I use regular atta or whole wheat bread, usually.
Then, there’s garlic, of course. I use the regular Indian variety.
You will also need butter, salted or unsalted. I prefer using salted Amul butter.
Dried Italian herbs are used for flavour, as are chilli flakes. You can dry your own herbs at home or buy them ready-to-use from a departmental store. If you have sachets of dried herbs left over from pizza deliveries, you could go ahead and use them in this Garlic Bread recipe. I typically use the dried herbs from a brand called Keya, and the chilli flakes from pizza-delivery sachets.
I use cheese in my Garlic Bread, because that’s the way we like it. I use whatever variety is available at home, usually Amul processed cheese or the natural Cheddar from D’Lecta.
Fresh parsley elevates Garlic Bread wonderful but, considering it is not readily available always, coriander makes for a wonderful substitute.
Last but not the least, you need a good pan to make the Garlic Bread. I have used a grill pan from WonderChef, but you could use a regular thick dosa pan as well.
The Shhh Cooking Secretly Challenge
The Shhh Cooking Secretly Challenge is a group of passionate food bloggers who share recipes based on a particular theme, every month. The participants are divided into pairs and each pair exchanges two ingredients secretly, unknown to the rest of the group. These two ingredients are then used to prepare a dish that fits into the theme of the month.
The group theme for February was ‘restaurant-style dishes at home’, suggested by Aruna of Vasu’s Veg Kitchen. You guys should totally check out the beautiful Paneer Do Pyaza she prepared for the theme!
I was paired with Narmadha, author of Nams’ Corner, for the month. She suggested I use the ingredients ‘chilli flakes’ and ‘coriander’ to make my dish, and they fit right into this Garlic Bread recipe I had been wanting to share on the blog for quite some time. Narmadha prepared this lovely pizza using the ingredients I assigned her. Do check out her recipe!
Garlic Bread recipe
Here’s how you can make garlic bread at home, on a pan.
Ingredients (makes 12 slices):
1. 12 slices of bread
2. About 60 grams of salted butter, softened
3. 3/4 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
4. 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or as needed
5. 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
6. 1 whole head of garlic, 12-15 cloves
7. Cheese, as required
1. Take the softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add in the dried Italian herbs and chilli flakes.
2. Add the finely chopped coriander to the mixing bowl too.
3. Peel the garlic cloves. Use a mortar and pestle to roughly crush them.
4. Add the crushed garlic cloves to the mixing bowl as well.
5. Mix all the ingredients in the mixing bowl well. This is your garlic butter.
6. Grate the cheese and keep it ready.
7. Now, we will start preparing the Garlic Bread. Spread the garlic butter we prepared earlier evenly on all the slices of bread. Then, brush a grill pan with a little butter, place on medium flame and let it get heated up. Place 4 slices of bread on the pan and turn the flame down to the lowest temperature.
8. Spread grated cheese over the bread slices, as required. Cover the grill pan. Cook covered at minimum heat for 7-8 minutes or till the bread turns crisp, the cheese melts and the garlic is cooked through. When done, transfer the cooked Garlic Bread slices to a serving plate. Serve immediately.
9. Prepare and serve all the slices of bread in the same way.
Tips & Tricks
1. For best results, use bread that is slightly old and not too squishy.
2. I have kept the bread slices whole here, but you may cut them into smaller pieces if you want to.
3. Make sure the bread slices do not burn while cooking them. Garlic cooks and burns really easily too. So, it is important that they be cooked on a low temperature so that the garlic doesn’t stay raw and the bread slices also get crispy.
4. Increase or decrease the quantity of garlic you use as per personal taste preferences. I have used about 15 cloves of regular-sized garlic. If the cloves are too fat, reduce the quantity accordingly.
5. 1 cube of cheese, grated, is good for 4 slices of bread. You may skip the cheese completely, if you don’t want to use it – the Garlic Bread will still taste fabulous.
6. Use as much or as little of the chilli flakes as you prefer.
7. The garlic butter, once prepared, can be stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight box for about a week. I prefer making it fresh, just before preparing the Garlic Bread.
8. The bread, butter, Italian herbs and cheese all contain salt. This is why I have not added any more salt while making the garlic butter. You may add some if you want to.
9. The butter should be softened, for you to be able to mix in the garlic and other ingredients well. Leave it at room temperature for at least a couple of hours before you start making the garlic butter.
11. You can also make unsalted butter. In that case, you would need to add some salt while making the garlic butter.
Did you like this recipe? Do tell me in your comments!
29 thoughts on “Garlic Bread On Pan| Garlic Bread Recipe”
We also love to enjoy garlic bread as a starter. Simple but tasty to make at home and enjoy . Loved the easy recipe of making garlic butter at home
Thank you so much, Priya!
Garlic bread looks super tempting, loved the way cheese melted on bread. Easy and best way to prepare garlic bread on pan. Liked the aroma of garlic and Italian herbs used.
Thank you so much! Glad you liked the recipe. 🙂
Cheesy garlic bread was always something that my daughter and I ordered whenever we ate out. Love it on its own and with soups. Homemade garlic bread looks so good. Love making it at home as one can add or reduce the ingredients that go into the butter.
We love garlic bread too, both at home and outside. Like you say, the home-made version allows one to have control over the quality of ingredients used.
Such an easy peasy recipe and that too making on a pan are fuss-free and quick. Best when kids demand it in an emergency.
@Renu Agrawal Dongre
Thank you so much! 😊
quick garlic bread – cheesy and so yumm.. best paired with some hot soup and dinner is sorted, isnt it?
You got me at garlic! We love garlic toasts and these look and sound amazing!
Thank you so much! 😊
Garlic bread is one of the dishes I order when I go to pizza places. This looks so delicious with cheese in it.
Thank you so much! 🙂
Who can resist such a delightful chessy garlic bread ! Perfect evening snacks for all ages….even my boy can try out this easy peasy recipe.
Thank you so much, Poonam! Yes, this is a kid-friendly recipe. My daughter loves helping me make this garlic bread. 😊
Garlic bread with fresh garlic cloves looks super tempting. Loved the use of cheese over it. Best part is we can customize the ingredients in homemade. Loved the easy to make recipe.
@Batter Up With Sujata
Thank you so much! Glad you liked the recipe. 😊
My son is a big fan of garlic bread. This is a quick recipe to make on stovetop. Yummy share Priya.
Thank you so much! 🙂
Garlic Bread On Pan is a lovely idea! I and my boy love the garlic flavors most. So this is totally my kinda recipe
Thank you so much! 😊
We love garlic bread. I like the idea of making it on stove top, so easy and fuss free. Freshly minced garlic with herbs must have added amazing flavour to it. Loved the recipe.
Thank you so much, Swaty! 😊 Yes, this garlic bread indeed turns out delicious.
Garlic bread with freshly made garlic butter at home is a wonderful treat. My family is a great fan of garlic bread and we make it at home so often. Your recipe is so easy and quick to make Priya.
Thank you! So glad you liked the recipe. 🙂
Oh Priya! you made garlic bread solution a whole lot more easy. I taught my daughter this method and now we have unlimited garlic toasts and the only thing I am running out of quickly is the bread ( i guess I bought the biggest bag of garlic!!)
@Seema Doraiswamy Sriram
Thank you so much! So glad to hear this. 🙂