Just two more days to go for 2020! I know I say this every year, but I really can’t believe the speed at which the year has whizzed by. It feels like 2019 just started, and we are on the brink of a new year already. Anyhow, if you are hosting a new year party or planning to make something special on the first day of 2020, I have a lovely appetiser idea for you. Here’s presenting to you Sriracha Pineapple!
Looking for a party appetiser? Think Sriracha Pineapple!
As the name suggests, Sriracha Pineapple is a Thai pineapple salad made using Sriracha sauce. It is a very simple thing to prepare – once you have the pineapple prepped and the other ingredients handy, this salad can be put together in just a few minutes. If you are planning to serve this at a party, you could keep the ingredients ready in advance and assemble the salad when it is time to serve.
Don’t be fooled by the simplicity of the recipe, though. This Sriracha Pineapple is a flavour bomb. Hot and salty and sweet and sour all at once, it will surely leave your family and guests hankering for more. The crunch of roasted peanuts makes the salad all the more irresistible.
The Sriracha sauce gives the pineapple a pretty orange-ish hue, the fresh coriander garnish adding to the overall effect. Do consider serving this Sriracha Pineapple in small cups or glasses for a party.
#PartyStarters for Foodie Monday Blog Hop
This recipe is brought to you in co-ordination with the Foodie Monday Blog Hop. Every Monday, a bunch of us food bloggers showcase recipes based on a pre-determined theme. The theme this Monday is #PartyStarters, and I chose this Sriracha Pineapple recipe to share.
The theme for this week was suggested by Poonam, the very talented blogger at Annapurna. Poonam’s blog is a treasure house of traditional Maharashtrian recipes, healthy bakes and simple foods from across the globe. I have already tried out her Vegetarian Nasi Lemak, and loved it. Now, my eyes are on her Methi Aur Gond Ke Laddoo, Whole Wheat Nankhatai and Narali Bhat. Yum!
How to make Sriracha Pineapple?
Here’s how I make the Sriracha Pineapple or Thai Pineapple Salad.
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
- 1 medium-sized pineapple
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or red chilli sauce, or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon honey or to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup peanuts
1. Dry roast the peanuts on medium flame till they get crisp, 5-7 minutes. Take care to ensure that they do not burn. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool down fully.
2. Make sure all the thorns and cores are removed from the pineapple. Chop into large cubes. Place them in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the Sriracha sauce, soya sauce, lemon juice and honey to the mixing bowl.
4. When the peanuts have cooled down fully, take them in a small mixer jar. Coarsely crush the peanuts. Add the coarsely crushed peanuts to the mixing bowl.
5. Mix all the ingredients in the bowl together, well.
6. Transfer the salad to serving plates, cups or glasses. Serve immediately, garnished with finely chopped fresh coriander as needed.
Tips & Tricks
1. For best results, use a pineapple that is ripe, juicy and sweet. An overly ripe, raw or sour pineapple will alter the taste of the salad.
2. I have used my home-made hot sauce to make this salad. You can make it at home too, or use store-bought Sriracha sauce or red chilli sauce.
3. Adjust the quantity of honey, lemon, soya sauce and red chilli sauce as per personal taste preferences.
4. It is important to roast the peanuts on medium flame and get them nice and crisp. Stirring constantly will help you achieve just the right level of roasting, while ensuring that the peanuts do not burn.
5. I used naturally fermented soya sauce from a Thai brand called Shoyu. You can use any variety of soya sauce that you prefer.
6. Do not grind the roasted peanuts to a fine powder. Just coarsely crush them in a small mixer jar.
7. Chopping the pineapple right is crucial here. Get all the thorns and cores out. For best results, chop the pineapple into large cubes that can be speared with a fork.
8. This is a completely vegetarian preparation. It is gluten-free as well.
9. If using a store-bought sauce, don’t forget to ensure that it is gluten-free, in case that is a requirement.
10. For a vegan version, substitute the honey used in the recipe with palm sugar or jaggery powder.
Did you like this recipe? Do tell me, in your comments!