I consider myself a very amateur baker. Baking befuddles me. Getting together the right kind of ingredients, mixing them up perfectly, setting the oven at just the correct temperature and creating a bake that not only tastes lovely but looks pretty as well – that’s a tall ask for me. Tell me I need to ‘bake’ something, and my brain freezes, something I hardly ever encounter in case of stovetop cooking. With cooking the traditional way on the stovetop, my movements are fluid and natural, my thoughts flowing rapidly and easily.
Or, maybe, it’s all in my mind.
Maybe I just need more practice with baking.
Maybe I need to put my heart and soul into baking to crack it, the way I have with stovetop cooking.
I need to do it. I want to. For the sake of my little one who adores baked goodies. For the sake of my family’s sweet toothed-members who love their pastries and muffins.
I will definitely give it my best shot. I will try, stumble and learn.
So, here goes. Here I am, trying to expand my limited baking repertoire with these Easy Vanilla Cupcakes, which I made a couple of days ago and met my harsh critical appraisal. Then, they went on to be approved of by my daughter and her little friend, too. Here’s hoping there will be many more successful bakes from my kitchen in the times to come.
This is a Classic Cupcake Recipe, a recipe for the most basic of cupcakes, an easy-peasy one that needs barely 5 minutes to put together. There are no fancy ingredients in there, no egg replacer – I’ve used old-fashioned maida and eggs to achieve these little vanilla-scented beauties. There’s no icing of any kind, either. Just sprinkle some powdered sugar on them and they are ready to munch on! A right beginner baker’s recipe this is. 🙂
If you, like me, have been scared of baking and want to break that barrier, this is the recipe you must be trying out. It’s so simple, really, so tough to mess up. Soft, fluffy, cute cupcakes will be your reward.
Here’s presenting to you the recipe for these Easy Vanilla Cupcakes.
Recipe Source: www.eggs.ca
Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes):
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar + a little more to dust the cupcakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1-1/2 cups maida
- A pinch of salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Place muffin liners in a muffin-baking tray. Keep ready.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the maida, salt and baking powder. Keep aside.
- Take the butter and sugar in another bowl. Cream them together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and the vanilla essence to the creamed butter and sugar. Whisk well, until all the ingredients are well incorporated together.
- Now, add in the eggs-vanilla-sugar-butter mixture into the mixing bowl with the flour in it, little by little, combining all the ingredients well together.
- Add in the milk to the mixture. Mix in well. The batter for your Easy Vanilla Cupcakes is ready.
- Pour in the batter into the prepared muffin-baking tray, until the liners are 3/4 filled up. Leave space for the cupcakes to rise during baking.
- Place the tray into the pre-heated oven. Bake at around 170 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. At this point, your Easy Vanilla Cupcakes are ready.
- Let the cupcakes cool down fully, then dust each one with a little powdered sugar. They are now ready to serve.
- Use all ingredients at room temperature, for best results.
- The cupcake batter should be mixed just right. Mix until the ingredients are well combined together, and that is it. Undermixing is a big no-no, while overmixing will give you dense cupcakes.
- I have used boiled and cooled milk, in this Classic Cupcake Recipe.
- These Easy Vanilla Cupcakes can be stored in a clean, dry, air-tight box for 2-3 days, at room temperature. Storing them in the refrigerator will increase their shelf life further, but I don’t really prefer doing that.
Did you like this Classic Cupcake Recipe? Do tell me, in your comments!
This recipe is for Foodie Monday Blog Hop, a Facebook group that I am part of. Every Monday, a bunch of us food bloggers cook and share recipes for a pre-determined theme. The theme for this week is #MiniCake, suggested by Preethi of Preethi’s Cuisine. Each one of us is showcasing little baked goodies from their kitchen, for the theme, and I decided to conquer my fear of baking with these Easy Vanilla Cupcakes.
Here are some other amateur bakes by me, which met my approval as well as that of my family: