Happy, happy new year, people!
I hope all of you had a lovely New Year’s eve and a great start to 2019. We rang in the new year chilling out at home, with some good home-made food, reading, talking and playing with the bub. Note to self – must do more of this in the months to come. 🙂
Just before New Year’s eve, I won an Instagram contest by Bhuira Jams, a brand I have come to trust and love. The good folks at Bhuira sent me a bottle of their Black Cherry Preserve, made with black cherries grown on their plant in Himachal Pradesh, with no artificial colouring or flavouring agents or preservatives. It tastes just awesome, I must say! I just had to use it immediately, and did so in these Thumbprint Coconut & Jam Mini Tarts.
Thumbprint Coconut & Jam Mini Tarts are super easy to make, taking bare minutes to get ready. They have a certain rustic charm to them, thumbprint and all. Use good-quality jam in them, and they become delectable little treats that you can serve for parties and get-togethers. I made the base for these tarts using Unibic’s new Oatmeal Daily Digestive Cookies, topping them with Bhuira’s Black Cherry Preserve, the dried coconut I added in complementing the other flavours perfectly. They turned out so delicious, they disappeared within minutes of the making!
Here’s how I made these Thumbprint Coconut & Jam Mini Tarts.
Ingredients (makes 10 pieces):
- 12 Unibic Oatmeal Daily Digestive Cookies
- 1 tablespoon sugar or to taste
- 4 tablespoons dry grated coconut + more for garnishing
- 2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Bhuira Black Cherry Jam as needed
1. Grind the digestive cookies in a mixer, along with the dry grated coconut and sugar. Make a fine powder.
2. Transfer this powder to a mixing bowl. Add the butter. Gently mix the ingredients together till you get a sort of pliable consistency.
3. Make 10 small balls out of the dough. Flatten each ball and make a ‘well’ in the centre, using your thumb. The ‘well’ should be good to hold a little quantity of jam.
4. Let the tarts chill in the freezer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
5. Now, drop a little jam in the ‘well’ of each tart. Garnish each tart with some dry grated coconut.
6. Let the tarts chill, covered, in the refrigerator (not in the freezer) for at least half an hour. The jam will set in this time.
7. Serve the tarts immediately after bringing them to room temperature.
- I used Amul unsalted butter to make these Thumbprint Coconut & Jam Mini Tarts.
- Adjust the quantity of sugar you use in the tart bases, depending upon personal taste preferences. You can even avoid the sugar completely, if you so desire.
- Use only a little quantity of jam to top these mini tarts, otherwise they might turn out overwhelmingly sweet.
- You may use any other type of cookie to form the base of these tarts, and any other good-quality jam for the topping.
- You can make these tarts in advance before a party or get-together, and store them in the refrigerator. However, make sure you get them out at room temperature a couple of hours prior to serving.
- Making these Thumbprint Coconut & Jam Mini Tarts is a great way to make use of leftover cookies, jam and/or dry grated coconut powder. 😉
- I received a sample of Unibic’s Oatmeal Daily Digestive Cookies, on a complimentary basis, to try out and review, on my Instagram feed. I quite liked them, and felt they would make a great base for tarts, hence this recipe happened. The opinions expressed about the cookies on my Instagram feed are entirely honest, entirely my own, not influenced by anything or anyone.
- As I mentioned earlier in my post, I won the bottle of Bhuira Black Cherry Preserve in an Instagram contest. The opinions expressed herein about the preserve are entirely honest, entirely my own, not influenced by anything or anyone.
Did you like this recipe? Do tell me, in your comments!