Do you love dosas? We do!
Dosas make an appearance on our table often, for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Yes, we are the sort of people who would be interested in eating dosas any time of the day. 🙂 We are forever looking for new ways to eat them dosas, and this one with a broccoli stuffing is the latest version we tried out at home.
Here’s presenting to you Broccoli Masala Dosa!
Broccoli Masala Dosa is a delicious spin on the regular masala dosa, a great way to use up those green florets. The filling is super simple to make too, taking just about 15 minutes in all to whip up. This makes Broccoli Masala Dosa a great meal choice, for weekdays and weekends alike.
Here’s how to make Broccoli Masala Dosa.
Ingredients (makes 8-10 dosas):
For the broccoli masala:
- 6 medium-sized florets of broccoli (roughly 1 cup when finely chopped)
- 1 medium-sized onion
- A handful of shelled green peas
- A 1-inch piece of ginger
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 generous pinches of asafoetida
- 3/4 tablespoon chana masala or to taste
- 3/4 tablespoon amchoor powder or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar or to taste
- 8 cashewnuts
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
For the dosas:
- 8-10 ladles of dosa batter
- Oil, as needed to make the dosas
1. Chop the broccoli and onion finely. Keep aside.
2. Peel the ginger and chop finely. Peel the garlic cloves. Grind both to a paste in a small mixer, using a little water. Keep aside.
3. Chop the cashewnuts roughly. Grind to a paste in a small mixer, using a little water. Keep aside.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add the chopped broccoli and onion, along with the shelled green peas. Saute for a minute.
5. Add the ginger-garlic paste to the pan, along with salt and red chilli powder to taste, and turmeric powder. Saute on high heat for a minute.
6. Add the sugar, chana masala and amchoor. Saute on high flame for a minute more. The vegetables should be fully cooked by now.
7. Add the cashewnut paste to the pan, along with a little water. Mix well. Saute on medium heat for a couple of seconds. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Switch off the heat and mix in the finely chopped coriander. The broccoli masala is ready.
8. Now, we will prepare the dosas. Heat a dosa pan well on high heat till drops of water dance on it. Reduce the flame to medium, and place a ladleful of dosa batter in the centre of the pan. Spread it out with the back of the ladle. Spread a little oil around the dosa. Cook on medium heat till the dosa gets brown on the bottom. Now, flip the dosa over to the other side, and cook on medium flame for half a minute. Transfer the cooked dosa to a serving plate.
9. Spread a little of the prepared broccoli filling in the centre of the dosa. Serve immediately.
10. Prepare all the dosas in a similar way. Serve hot.
1. You can use garam masala in the filling instead of chana masala.
2. Don’t skip the sugar in the broccoli masala. It brings out the other flavours beautifully.
3. Adjust the quantity of sugar, salt, red chilli powder, chana masala and amchoor powder as per personal taste preferences.
4. You can add some grated cheese and/or broken cashewnuts to the filling too, just before serving.
Did you like this recipe? Do tell me in your comments!