Bored of eating oranges the usual way? Use them in this bright and beautiful Indian Spiced Orange Salad!
I have used Indian spices to delicately spice this salad, which is extremely flavourful and delicious. It is a medley of sweet and tangy and spicy in every bite, and would make a refreshing addition to any meal.
Here’s how to make this Indian Spiced Orange Salad.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 large fresh oranges
- About 10 almonds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt, to taste
- A dash of red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Dry roast the almonds in a pan, on medium flame, till crisp. Take care to ensure that they do not burn. Keep aside and allow them to cool down completely.
- Peel the oranges and remove all the seeds and fibres. Roughly tear the segments into bite-sized pieces using your hands. Transfer the orange pieces to a large mixing bowl.
- When the almonds are cool enough to handle, chop them into slivers. Keep aside.
- Add salt to taste, honey, cumin powder, chilli powder, almond slivers and finely chopped coriander to the orange pieces in the mixing bowl. Mix gently.
- Transfer to serving plates and serve immediately.
1. The oranges that I used were a good mix of sweet and tart, so I didn’t feel the need to use any lemon juice in the salad. If you think your oranges aren’t too tart, you could add in a dash of lemon juice.
2. Skip the honey if the oranges are too sweet. Use more honey if needed, depending upon your taste preferences.
3. Roasted peanuts, walnuts or cashewnuts can be used in place of almonds. The lemon juice can be substituted with vinegar, the red chilli powder with finely chopped green chillies, and the honey with maple syrup, palm sugar or any other sweetener. Similarly, you can use torn basil or mint leaves in place of the coriander.
4. You can use a mix of sweet lime (mosambi) and orange to make this salad too.
5. Make sure all the seeds and tough fibres are removed from the oranges, before proceeding to make this Indian Spiced Orange Salad.
6. Serve the Indian Spiced Orange Salad immediately after preparation. Do not let it sit for too long – it will then begin to release water and become tasteless.
Did you like the recipe? Do tell me, in your comments!
This recipe is for the Foodie Monday Blog Hop. The theme for this week is ‘Salad Recipes’.
I’m also sending this recipe over to Fiesta Friday #228.