I am the sort of person who always stocks a bottle of hot green chutney in her refrigerator. I make the chutney fresh weekly and store it – gorgeously green and fragrant with the mint, coriander, garlic, ginger, onion and lemon that goes into it – for use later. The husband and I absolutely adore this green chutney, and we love using it as a side to jazz up our meals. It makes for a great spread for sandwiches and wraps, and adds a whole lot of zing to chaats. I never thought of using it in a pizza, though, until CookingFromHeart posted about it on her Instagram feed. And, then, I absolutely had to go ahead and make it!
I used whole wheat bread, my home-made hot green chutney, loads of veggies and a smattering of cheese to make the Indian-Style Pizza, and it turned out absolutely fantabulous! It was super-duper delicious and healthy (if you choose to ignore the cheese), and took minimal effort to make. This Bread Pizza makes for a wholesome dinner for busy weekdays or lazy weekends, when you want to cook something hearty without stressing yourself out too much.
Do try this out, will you? Check out the recipe!
- Slices of bread, as needed
- Hot green chutney, as needed (see Notes to know how to make this)
- Pitted, sliced olives, as needed
- Capsicum slices, as needed
- Chopped onion, as needed
- Seedless cucumber, chopped into rounds, as needed
- A few pieces of broccoli, chopped fine
- Grated cheese, as needed
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Toast the bread slices for 4-5 minutes, at about 170 degrees. They should turn slightly crisp.
- Spread the hot green chutney evenly on the toasted bread slices.
- Arrange the cucumber roundels, sliced onion and capsicum, broccoli pieces and olives evenly over the bread slices.
- Top the bread slices with grated cheese.
- Place the prepared bread slices back in the oven. Bake at about 170 degrees for 4-5 minutes or till the cheese melts and the veggies have slightly cooked.
- Serve hot.
- I have used whole wheat bread to make the base for this Indian-Style Pizza. You can use any variety of bread you prefer, or even home-made or store-bought pizza base.
- Here, I have used the vegetables that I had handy in my kitchen. You can use any veggies that you please. Zucchini, baby corn, sweet corn, mushrooms, tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes are some vegetables that would go well with this Indian-Style Pizza. I avoided using jalapenos on the pizza because the chutney I have used is already quite spicy.
- I have used Amul processed cheese to make this Indian-Style Pizza. You may use any variety of cheese that you prefer.
- Here is how I make the hot green chutney.
- I made this Bread Pizza in my Morphy Richards OTG. You can even make this on a dosa pan, on a gas stove.
- I have not mentioned the quantities for any of the ingredients here. You can use as much or as little of the ingredients as you prefer, depending upon your personal taste preferences.
I hope you will try out this Bread Pizza too, and that you will love it as much as we do!
This post is for the Foodie Monday Blog Hop. The theme for this week is ‘Recipes using bread’.