Are you looking for a healthy salad recipe that does not use an overdose of dressing or call for exotic ingredients? Are you looking for a simple but healthy snack to satiate those in-between-meals hunger pangs?
If your answer to these questions is ‘Yes’, you have reached the right place. This vegetable salad with pineapple would be just perfect for you.
This vegetable salad with pineapple uses absolutely zero oil. There are no fancy ingredients or salad dressing involved. In fact, this salad can be whipped up within minutes, from whatever odds and ends of veggies are lying around in your refrigerator. And, yet, it is so lovely – juicy and flavourful and delicious. Let me tell you that it is a big-time hit at home, and I make it quite often.
You have to try it out!
Here’s how I make this zero-oil vegetable salad with pineapple.
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
- About 3/4 cup pineapple cubes (cores and thorns removed)
- 1/2 medium-sized capsicum, chopped finely
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 medium-sized carrot, peeled and grated finely
- 1/2 small-sized zucchini, chopped into small cubes
- Kernels from 1 medium-sized sweet corn
- 1 cube of Amul processed cheese, chopped into small cubes
- A handful of raisins
- About 10 almonds, each one chopped into halves
- Salt, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, or to taste
- Black pepper powder, or to taste
- A few stalks of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey, or to taste
1. Place the corn kernels in a wide vessel and add in just enough water to cover them. Place on high heat and allow water to boil. Reduce flame to medium and cook for just a minute. Transfer immediately to a colander and drain out all the water. Run cold water over the kernels and keep aside. Let the corn cool down completely.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients mentioned above, except the corn. Add in the cooked and cooled corn kernels too. Mix well, but gently. Serve immediately.
- Like I was saying earlier, this salad can be made with any veggies lying around in your refrigerator. There are two keys to making the salad taste great – using the veggies in the right proportion and chopping them the right way. For instance, you wouldn’t mind biting a big, juicy piece of pineapple, right? So, chop the pineapple into large-ish cubes. Use more of the pineapple. The same goes for the sweet corn kernels. A big piece of capsicum or onion wouldn’t be as enjoyable to encounter, so use less of them, and chop them small. As simple as that!
- Raw cane sugar or palm sugar can be used in place of honey, too.
- Let your taste preferences dictate the quantity of salt, pepper, honey and lemon juice that you put into the salad.
- I have used Amul processed cheese here. You can use any variety of cheese that you prefer, cubed or grated.
- Apples, cucumber, pomegranate, walnuts, orange or sweet lime segments, lettuce, and pears are some other ingredients you can add to this zero-oil vegetable salad.
You like? I hope you will try out this vegetable salad with pineapple too, and that you will love it as much as we do!