I spotted some lovely-looking raw mangoes and (some ripe ones too!) at the vegetable vendor’s, while recently out veggie shopping for Pongal. Already?, I thought. It’s only January! I couldn’t resist picking up a raw mango for myself, unseasonal though it might be.
I went on to try out a raw mango salsa chaat with it, which turned out beautifully well. All of us at home are chaat lovers, and loved this one to bits!
Here is how I made the chaat.
Ingredients (makes about 20 pieces):
- 1 medium-sized raw mango, peeled and chopped into small pieces (Use a semi-raw Totapuri which isn’t too sour)
- Salt, to taste
- Chaat masala, to taste
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- A few stalks of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 20 pooris (the round, fluffed-up pooris that we use to make golgappas)
- Fine sev (ompudi), as needed for garnishing
- Spicy green chutney, as needed (Here‘s how I make it)
- Sweet-and-sour imli chutney, as needed (Here‘s how I make it)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the chopped raw mango, coriander, onion and tomato, along with salt to taste. This is the base step for one to make raw mango salsa. Keep this aside.
- Put a little of the raw mango mixture into each poori, at the bottom. Don’t fill up the entire poori with it, just about 1/4 of it. Add a dollop each of the spicy green chutney and the sweet-and-sour imli chutney over it. Sprinkle some fine sev over the chutneys, and add a pinch of chaat masala.
- Serve immediately.
Do you like the idea? I hope you will try this out, too!
It is no secret that I love raw mango! I absolutely love adding it to this and that.
Here are some other raw mango-based recipes that have been tried and tested in my kitchen, and much loved.
Kaachi Keri Ane Dungli Nu Kachumbar
Kerala-Style Instant Mango Pickle
Thengaai Maangaai Pattani Sundal
Thai Raw Mango And Onion Salad
3 thoughts on “Raw Mango Salsa Chaat”